My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://cdillon.net
and update your bookmarks.

Sick Day = Content Consumption

Posted on 10:58 AM, under ,

I'm sitting on my couch writing in my blog rather than in school on the first day back because I picked up a bug of some sort from a coworker at Starbucks. Honestly, this is pretty lame. My client is back in school, the classroom is in minor chaos with new students and new behaviorists, I'm the veteran behaviorist in the classroom, and I'm sitting here, blogging.

I've been going a bit crazy with all of the effort required in getting things ready to go back to work and back to school, which probably stressed my system just enough for this invading horde to take me out for the day. Rather than sitting around trying to catch up on my content creation responsibilities, I'm going to try to back off and relegate myself to the role of content consumer and tool investigator. Right after I write a few quick blog updates...

I'm very much looking forward to the new year, new opportunities, new ideas, and new directions for my research that have been popping up over the last week. As my research goes, I feel the balance of powers shifting as I move toward understanding my ideas better. On the one hand, I couldn't have more of a green light with regard to my action research:
  • My client is served by therapists from two different companies, making our therapy team an excellent test case
  • My department manager might be more excited about the prospects for my project than I am, and has been an excellent resource for places to go in the company for help and advice
  • My client's parents are behind the project in whatever form it takes, and trust me to make this work for their child's benefit
  • Simply put, I'm investigating community building via gaming principles in an environment where the barriers to collaboration are minimal and the benefits of collaboration are substantial and yet the valuable collaboration is not happening... How can this fail?
On the other hand, I'm seeing the obstacles more clearly now that some of the adrenaline has dissipated:
  • I'm talking about building my own software solutions to a problem, but I've never done any real coding outside of two classes in college dedicated to programming, and have thoroughly forgotten those languages
  • Privacy, Privacy, Privacy.... If I fail to sufficiently safeguard client privacy, my project will lose it's backing and support.
  • I'm basically going to pitch turning behavioral therapy into a collaborative game, but I know I can't call it a game, and I know I can't explain the gaming principles behind it to anyone who can pull the plug on it.
  • I'm hoping to bring other therapy teams into this eventually, especially as this creates a necessary competitive aspect to the game, but how do I do this without fostering resentment and creating real-world social issues?
I'm not sure where the balance falls here, but I'm keeping these issues in mind as I reflect on what examples I can find of other implementations of alternate reality gaming.


edit post

0 Reply to "Sick Day = Content Consumption"

  • Post a Comment